Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy {almost} New Year and our "2012 Things to Do"

Let's face it...the whole "new years resolution thing" is a tad over rated...mostly because nothing anyone ever resolves to do ever lasts the whole entire year....and for this reason alone we feel like would be fooling ourselves if we made "resolutions" this year. Instead (because we're different)....David and I are making our 2012 "To Do List"--- It includes projects we want to complete, places we want to go, and changes we'd like to attempt to make.....there will be things added throughout the year....and there will be things checked off....and most importantly there will be things we never get to because as with any to do list....there will always be tomorrow......
So as another year comes to a close....and we say good bye to 2011....we bring to you...this one time only....special edition post:
{David and Jessica's 2012 To Do list}

{Oh The Places We Will Go!}
     So as you all know we LOVE to travel...weather its in our own back yard....to see our family and friends who are now far away....or to some place crazy...we want to see it and we will travel! Our big trips this year will probably be the two big weddings of the year-- My friend Stacy's wedding (in Raleigh NC) in April and David's brother Eric's wedding (in Orlando FL) in June. (Super stoked for both but they will def be our budget busters!) With that being said we will probably be doing lots of small day trips around the good ole state of Iowa to soothe that travel itch. Here's our list:
    • First and foremost on the top of our list (as per David's request) we want to have a "skiing" trip this winter to Winterset Iowa (I'm only a little skeptical because I'm pretty sure Iowa isn't known for their ski resorts) -- The rec center does an over night ski trip (like you literally ski in the middle of the night) and we may sign up....
    • Iowa Speedway (we've driven by it...but we're hoping to actually catch a race there next year!)
    • The Herbert Hoover Museum (which isn't far at all from us and is a National Historic Site...and since David is a little nerd when it comes to history I think he'd really like to see it...I'll just have to take one for the team....or find a fabric/antique store near by for an even travel trade)
    • Believe it or not there were atleast two classic movies filmed in Iowa (probably more) and we're thinking of doing a whole "movie themed day trip extravaganza" to see where The Bridges of Madison County was filmed and also the infamous Field of Dreams 
    • Decorah Iowa also has a Billy Clock museum that looks pretty fun....and also a pretty big deal called "The Whippy Dip" (a small town ice cream shop) that I've been dying to go to purely for the name...however I've heard they have some pretty good ice cream too (We'll be sure to report back)
{Changin things up to keep things interesting}
     Needless to say as things become a little more routine around here, we're becoming a little more lazy in the healthy eating/physical activity department. I've always been a stickler for eating healthy and working out...and I don't want to fall into bad habits now!!!! (It's sooo easy to do when you're as busy as we are!) So on our list of changes to make this year:
    • I want to do one whole year of whole foods (now this may sound a little out there...but with all the farmers markets and small town farms around here...I don't think it's going to be that difficult) Here is a link to my inspiration...we decided if we can make it through the winter....it's all down hill from there.....
    • We also want to get back into running...with hopes of training for a few races by the end of 2012
**These 2 "To Do's" alone will be our years biggest challenges....let's hope they don't get scratched off early! We're counting on you friends and fam to keep us motivated!!!!**

{The Crafting/Project List}
     If you don't know my obsession with crafting...I don't know how you found this blog because you OBVIOUSLY don't know me. My mom and I pretty much find something to craft/make every spare second we're not working,eating, or sleeping....and this year I decided to have one ongoing project that will last the whole entire year. The inspiration started with this blog and her 365 project.....I'm not even going to pretend like I have time every single day to do any one particular thing (because sometimes my days are so jam packed I have to put breathing on my list of things to do) so as long as I keep at it with some sort of regularity I will be pleased with myself at the end of the year....
    • The project: Grannies Gone Wild----one whole year of Granny Squares
I'm already so excited that I have my first color scheme picked out (pink, peacock, purple with black sparkles between the squares) and have been goin' granny wild ever since! The basic square is super simple and will probably be my first afghan....after I get the hang of it I'm going to graduate myself to the super intricate squares for my "Summer flower garden" afghan (I'm thinking a spring/summer color scheme with light cotton yarn) with lots of flower squares (they are probably the most tacky but alas my fav). As the project develops I hope to have more plans...but as of now that's all I've got (And as far as David is concerned that's far enough)
I don't know why I love Granny Squares (because everyone else seems to think they're uber tacky, David and my mom included) but ever since I was little my grandad always had one of my great grandma's Granny Square afghans on the bed in "my room" (i.e. the guest bed room that I stayed in as a child) and there was always something "magical" about it to me...it was so colorful and cheery looking...I was always drawn to it....and there began my Granny Square obsession. Don't ask questions...don't hate...those are the rules.

    • Hopefully David will pick up a few hobbies/projects/activities as the year progresses (as golf his #1 go to activity can only be played a couple months out of the year here)....I can tell he misses soccer and other fun things he used to get into back home..but again will be added to the list as the year progresses.....



We hope the new year brings all of our friends and fam good health, happiness, and all the luck in the world! 2012 is going to be OUR year!


3 comments:

  1. Aw, get it!!!! I love this! I have something similar scheduled for tomorrow but with less fun goals lol! Remember if you need help making Raleigh cheaper, I'm your girl. I don't know what people are talking about.... granny squares are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray!!!!! I'm with Stacy, granny squares are NOT tacky! they ROCK!!!! I lurve them!!!! I've started my "to do" list as well...making a dog bed is on there! haha I meant to start it today but I went to craft stores with Cayce instead...but I didn't even buy anything (can you believe that??) so it was a waste. I'm almost done with my top secret knitting project though!! AMERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't WAIT to see your top secret knitting project!!!! I'll be wiaiting...send me photos!!! AMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and p.s. I'm glad ya'll don't think granny squares are tacky

    ReplyDelete